Product and service development work best as a cross-functional activity. Yet many companies pass jobs between departments like a baton. Or hot potato. Give your products and services a good start in life with co-operation and governance. Help each specialist play their part and support their teammates.
In product or service development, no department or person is more important than the others. Each has a critical role to play:
- Sales and marketing
- – Sales clarifies requirements, negotiates change and has the unenviable job of saying no.
- – In some projects the Marketing team act as Product Manager. It creates requirements and makes data-driven decisions.
- – Engineers turn the customer’s requirements into reality. They bring innovation and new technologies. They incorporate learning from earlier products.
- – They write requirements for the supply chain and third-party providers.
- – The Purchasing team build the supply chain and partnerships.
- – Purchasing may find and manage project partners.
- – Operations designs cost-effective and reliable production and delivery systems.
- Indirect teams
- – HR recruits and oversees the development of team members.
- – Finance builds the business case and budget, and report spend.
- – The Quality team ensures the quality of your product or service.
- – Health and Safety keeps everyone safe.
- – Legal and regulatory specialists help the team stay within the law.
Who can make sure each team member contributes, stays within the constraints of the project and listens to their colleagues? What additional role do you need to deliver profitable product or service development?
Your friendly, neighbourhood Project Manager
Whether you need:
- help setting up a new team, their goals and processes
- a review of your existing New Product/ Service Introduction process
- to rescue a project that has gone off the rails
- hands-on help or coaching and guidance
I can help
I have worked on product and service development at Phillips, Allied Signal, Rolls-Royce, Elektron and Eminox.
I can help you deliver a product or service that delights your customers and generates good returns for you.
Photo credit: Quino Al